Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sometimes you just make do!

Today was finally the day that the kids had been DYING for.  We left this morning to get our Christmas tree!  Now, our family goal each year is to find a tree farm, where we can pull the kids in the sled while tromping through the snow to find that perfect tree.  Let me give you a rundown of the last few years...

Year 1:  We found a tree farm, and it all worked out as planned!  Yay!

Year 2:  We went back to that tree farm, but had to cut off the top of the tree, just with the hopes that we could fit in inside our living room, while still having enough room for the couch.

Year 3:  Sergeants, minus $80.

Year 4:  Lowes.  Not exactly the memories that we were hoping to instill in our children, but what the heck.

This year:  We found another tree farm!  Yay!!  We were ecstatic!  But...  there weren't any trees to cut down because we "came too late in the year."  What?  I thought it was only the 10th!
Needless to say, we found the farm that we hope to use every year, with the lesson learned to come right after Thanksgiving.

So, we were on our way home, with the tree tied on top of the family van.  I loved the excitement of the kids as we were driving, and the nervousness of Tim, with the hopes that he tied all the knots correctly. Don't worry, he did.

Now we are at home, decorating our tree, and I'm searing the littleness of my kids into my mind.  I'm hoping to never forget the little moments like today.  My kids are awesome, and with the help of some bungee cords and water softener salt bags (as a weight so it doesn't tip over), our tree is pretty cool too.   =)

Treyton was trying to pick through the ornaments, to be able to get to the "cool" ones before the other kids got them.

Hadlee is obsessed with this ornament!  It's Treyton's from his first Christmas, but since it's in a baby swing, she thinks she's got dibs.

Maddex is the s-l-o-w-e-s-t person to hang ornaments.  MAYBE every 5 minutes, he'd be ready for another one.  I thought we'd be at this all night!

The kids' version of hanging them up higher, is about 6 inches taller than the original ones.






Haha!  Our tree weight, because the tree was VERY front heavy, but if we turned it, we got to look at the ugly side.  Now how am I suppose to disguise this?!

And finally, the angel that my Oma made.  It's bittersweet hanging it this year, but it gives me one more way to incorporate her memory in our home.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! It brought tears to my eyes with the tree topper.......thinking of when she used to make those and you and I would sit and just stare, knowing how talented our oma was!

    Btw I love the salt bags LOL if anyone can hide these its you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a big hook in a stud in the corner of our living room where we tied our tree up a few years ago. Hook is still there. I like the non-permanence of the salt bags! I say get a giant gift bag and put the salt bags in it.

    ReplyDelete